Your child’s first day at school is the beginning of a great adventure. So start preparing them now.
- Bring your child to play in the grounds on the weekend and during school holidays to familiarise themselves with the outdoor school yard.
- Get them to look forward to this great event as a part of the process of growing up.
- Talk to your child about school and what will happen there – meeting new friends, playing games, singing, learning to read and write about all sorts of things.
- Give your child simple tasks around the house to foster confidence in their own ability.
- Practice having a “lunchbox” lunch.
Make sure your child:
- Is accustomed to spending time away from you
- Is aware to ask for help when it is needed
- Can use a public toilet and wash and dry hands unaided
- Can recognise his/her name
- Knows how to use a handkerchief and to always have one
- Can take off and put on outer clothing unaided.
Encourage your child:
- To put away play things and materials after using them
- To eat their lunch from a lunchbox and know the order in which to eat their food
- To take turns, be patient and share with other children
- To speak politely.